Friday, January 9, 2009

The Voyces Render A Packed Room Speechless


The Voyces - JANUARY 9th, 2009: Rockwood Music Hall in New York City

As much as I already knew that I absolutely love this band, a performance like the one I saw tonight to reminds me of all the reasons why. I go and see a lot of bands, and believe me there is a lot of crap out there. Even artists I like (The Majoreons, Adam Levy) do not come close - in my humble opinion - to the pure magic weaved by The Voyces.




What makes them so special? What is this possession of theirs that makes them so creatively superior? Tonight I tried to break it down if only for myself. These are the things I came up with. First, and I think least, which says a helluva lot, it is the stage presence of both Brian Wurschum and Jude Kastle. Brian is the shit. The man. In all my life I can't think of anyone else with his power to silence a crowded room. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. Charisma I guess. He starts doing something and everyone just jumps in his hand. Tonight, and the place was packed, he did this.......again. Started playing while peering around the room and it got still and silent. His look. It is intimidating if he wants it to be. He looks mean. Until he smiles. Disarmed! The whole room. Makes this look easy I tell ya. It is his presence. I don't know what it is exactly. (My girlfriend, who thinks he is hot and a stud and the whole annoying nine yards, laughs at all of his jokes and explains to me that this is a factor.) He is funny between songs. Biting sarcastic wit. I don't know he is just the man. He just seems like a star, and so does Jude. Jude. She counteracts his scowls with warmth. Kastle is the gorgeous siren who proves to be trustworthy. It is hard not to look at one of these two singers and be drawn in all the way to their world of music. Bassist Frank Carreno is the most fun to watch though. He smiles throughout like he knows something we don't. And Drummer Eric Puente is so lost in what he is doing at any given moment that he may not even know the crowd is there.

Really it's the songs. They blow my mind every time. Tonight they opened with "Turn Around And Run Away." The lyrics are so intense that I don't wanna get into it. Sorry. But here is a sample so you see what I mean:

"...all at once, it hit me/I've been living backwards and wrong/So put on a skirt and come get me/You'll be so impressed you'll just have to undress when you hear all the truths that I have confessed and slipped into a song/But they're lies, lies/So turn around and run away and don't come back again..."

It's so freakin melodic and haunting and great.

Then they played "You're In Charge Of Driving The Narcotics Trolley And You're Doing An Excellent Job."

"...Sugar milk/Lined around your block now
Superstars draw chalk around it somehow..."

It's a funk song. Or something.

Then they pushed "Where The Little Girls Still Throw Roses" on us. Usually they play it last. It was perfect early. The harmonies are well just hear for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYFNhH4pMc
This is not from the same show but still. You get the idea.

They played "Tangerine" and "Kissing Like It's Love" and "Please Wash Away" and "Hair Up High." Such great songs people I tell ya.

It's really about the songs and the best part of the whole night was the new ones they played. They did not anounce the song titles but I already knew what they were because Brian sent me some samples and lyrics from their upcoming CD. They played "If I Am Not Your Everything Baby I'm Not Anything" and "It Never Just Goes" and "King Of Castle."
When Brian was nice enough to send me samples and lyrics he told me "don't do anything with 'em." Otherwise I would post them here. The CD comes out in March so I will be posting them soon. They were the best songs they played tonight. I am so excited for the new CD to drop. I swear.

This blog is a labor of love I swear. Any of you who were at the show can write to me. I would love that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there! Youre right on! The Voyces are the bomb!!!!

Anonymous said...

If you were onstage with these superstars, you'd be grinning ear to ear too! %)

Anonymous said...

Nice talkin to you Dan. Yes it was a great show. The Voyces always put on a good one. Canyon Ladies kicks ass...

Christy Merry said...

Fantastic, as ALWAYS. I have (finally!) updated the 'Faces of the Voyces' site w/this show, and that serious look you described appears to be on Brian's face in the first pic. :)

www.voyces.shutterfly.com

Anonymous said...

the voyces r hot