Tuesday, January 27, 2009

New Songs from The Voyces "Whisper" and Scream


After having listened to two of the songs from The Voyces' upcoming album, "Let Me Die In Southern California" I sat speechless. SPEECHLESS!!! Folks, I am reluctant to use the word 'masterpiece' to describe anything, but I just heard two of them. Masterpieces. Both. Not indie-rock masterpieces. Not as good as can be in modern day masterpieces. I am talking full blown ALL TIME masterpieces. Goodness!!! I am not sure what to say. One thing I know is, very soon, when this CD is unleashed to the public, others will be saying the same things and using the same words. These songs are undeniably superb works of art. If the rest of their new effort comes even close to the two I have heard, "Let Me Die In Southern California" and "It Whispers", this recording is going to blow people's minds. Goodness!!

"Let Me Die In Southern California" has the catchiest and heaviest guitar riff I have heard come out of a band in I don't even know how long. I listened to it (albeit five times) two hours ago and it is still running through my brain constantly. But folks? That's nothing compared to what follows. The verses are...let's just say...well...picture some of the most enticing, majestic, incredible lyrics (about the mysticism of California) floating over one of the most original, cool as hell rhythms ever. But folks? The Voyces are just getting us warmed up for the chorus. It is difficult to imagine this and this alone not sending my favorite indie band of all time into full flight publicly . It is astonishing. Brilliant. You read it here first. Oh yeah, there is a guitar solo like no one has ever heard on a Voyces CD. But folks? That's nothing compared to the guitar solo that cascades into one's psyche during the other song, "It Whispers." Folks, it is another masterpiece. This one starts off with lyrics (see above) that gave me chills. But folks? The Voyces are just getting started. Just when you think you could not be more engaged in the song, Wurschum does something that makes me wonder why they ever had anyone else in the band holding a guitar on stage. Brian & Jude keep saying "It Whispers" all right, but truly, it left me breathless.

Admittedly, I am a huge fan of this band. But I promise that you won't have to take my word for it. Something purely magical is "slipping through the trees."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love what you've written. I've had the honor of listening to the entire album, and it is a masterpiece. Truly a work of art. It is dark and deep, honest and inspired - this ribbon (I can't yet come up with another name for it) of something (too personal to name?) runs through the record, and the experience is transcendent. Just you wait.