Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Interview: Voyces' Producer Bruce Driscoll


My interview with the talented producer behind The Voyces’ upcoming album, “Let Me Die In Southern California”



1.) How did your involvement with the new Voyces album come about?


Brian and I have known each other for a couple of years now. We met when we were both working out of a studio down on Canal Street. We'd always smoke cigarettes together in the break lounge and he'd crack me up with his ridiculously quick wit. At some point I think I played him something I was in the midst of producing and he got excited about the way it sounded and asked if I'd be into trying to record a song of his. That song was called Top of My Lungs and it was on their last album.

So then some time passed and we both stopped working at that studio and then a couple of months ago I got an e-mail from Brian asking if I'd be interested in recording a new record with them. I was.



2.) What can you tell me about this album?


Well, I think these are some of the most meaningful/best songs he's ever written. Honestly, it's a group of stellar, classic, beautiful, pop/rock songs. The kind that will never go out of style. We're pretty far into the process and I can safely say that I think we're all very excited about how it's turning out.



3.) Do you have any favorite songs from the record?


It's hard to pick, but the ones I find myself always wanting to listen to over and over again are If I Am Not Your Everything and You Can Never Know. There's an emotion in the two of those that I really connect with.



4.) Where is it being recorded?


We tracked drums at a studio in midtown with a very excellent engineer, Alex Nizich, who also worked on their prior album. The rest of the album is being done by Brian, Jude, and me, in my apartment. The energy is nice and relaxing here and feels conducive to creativity.



5.) You are a musician yourself. Tell me about your own music.


Yes, I play guitar, bass, drums, piano, and sing. It's stuff that's good to know when producing. Especially when relating to someone like Brian who can play everything as well.

I try to keep pretty busy with music, so I play in several different bands. The main ones are Blondfire, The Sleepy Rebels, The Saturday Club, Brookville, and Ivy. When I write my own songs I do it under the name The King of Nowhere.



6.) What are some other things you have recorded?


Recently I produced and wrote for a wonderful Ukrainian singer named Lana Mír. Her album is coming out this year on Unfiltered Records. I produce/co-produce the tracks for most of the bands I'm in.



7.) What are you most proud of?


Like, in life? or musically speaking?

I guess I can answer both with one answer... I guess I'm most proud of the fact that I've been able to survive almost completely from music related things, even in hard times.



8.) Back to The Voyces, how is it working with them? What is your creative involvement?


Working with the Voyces is a dream job on so many levels. It's like someone saying, "Okay Producer/Engineer guy, we're going to put you together with a band that you really love, the singers can actually sing (remarkably well), the front man can play everything in one take, they have similar influences and understand where you're coming from, and they are completely organized and great to work with."

Honestly, Brian and Jude are two of the nicest people I've ever met.

My creative involvement has a lot to do with what I do with the great performances Brian gives me. He knows and plays the parts he hears in his head, but it's my job to take those parts and make them sound like they should. The songs are so great that it would be a shame if they weren't recorded to their full potential. I do the best I can to make them sound timeless.

Occasionally I'll hear a part that I think would compliment it all in the grand scheme of things, but 99.9% of all the parts come from Brian's ideas. I'm convinced the man has a pop symphony running in his head 24/7.

No comments: