Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Interview: The Voyces' Brian Wurschum



I read somewhere that, in your mind, The Voyces have only been around since about 2006. Yet you released CDs in 2000 (The Best Day of My Life), 2002 (Jack Johnson’s Thicker Than Water), and 2003 (The Angels of Fun). What did you mean by that?


In 2006, the band I had always envisioned finally materialized.



That’s when Eric Puente and Jude Kastle joined the group?


Yes.



What about their presence caused such a dramatic shift in your mentality?


Jude is, for lack of a better way to put this, my musical counterpart. We have an identical creative vision. And our personalities complement one another’s, which makes life simple. The exact same things can be said about Eric. Frank and I were already tight, so now we are four peas in a pod. Having a band can be really challenging if that band’s health and survival is your lifeline, and I would honestly describe this situation, creatively and personally, as effortless. Nothing is required except that which comes naturally anyway. This all combines to make it easy to focus on the only thing that really matters, which is the music itself.


Kissing Like It’s Love is a great record.


I like it.



Was that fun to record?


It was. There were a lot of hurdles to climb as far as logistics went. We started recording that album in three studios before it all came together beautifully and we settled into Lofish Studios with Alex Nizich. He co-produced that CD and was not properly credited in a lot of our major press. That still bothers me. He absolutely made that record happen. He worked so hard on it. Rarely slept. Wow, that was an adventure. But it was a fun one.



And the album did well. Better than you had anticipated?


We did not know what to expect, so we had no expectations. One sale would have us high-fiving.



You are working on the songs for your next album, Let Me Die in Southern California. I have been lucky enough to have seen some of the lyrics. As a huge fan, I will tell you that I find them to be your best and most thought-provoking to date.


Thank you.



The title track contains stunning imagery about the Southern Californian’s lifestyle, and the west coast in general. Was this song written in California?


In a way, yes. It’s hard to explain. I felt and sort of heard the song while we were out there on our last tour, while driving to the airport to head back to New York City. I am from California, so it is always a potent experience when I am there. And leaving is always hard. But I found the melody and wrote the lyrics when I got back to New York.



I’m dying to hear the music. Is it as sad as the lyrics?


Well, I do not know. It is a hard rock song. It is a driving song. It alludes to a definite longing. Yes, it is a driving-hard rock-longing type of a song.



What’s your favorite song on the new album?


There is a song on which Jude sings lead. “King of Castle.” It’s gorgeous.



Oh wow, is that a play on her last name?


Not on purpose, no.



And you are re-recording a song from your old band, majority DOG, right?


“Finest Hour.”



Why re-record it?


I love the song, and I think it deserves a new life.



Do you want to talk about your old band?


No thanks.



Another new song you let me read is called, It Never Just Goes. Can you tell me about this one?


It’s the catchiest song on the new album, I think.



The words are pretty.


Thanks.



What Voyces song are you most proud of?


Not including any of the songs that will be on our next album, I would say “Where The Little Girls Still Throw Roses.”



Other favorites?


“The Angels Of Fun” and “Kissing Like It’s Love.”



What songwriters most inspire you?


There are so many. The most influential ones are probably Roger Waters, Randy Newman, Walter Becker, Paul Simon, and Peter Gabriel. But there are too many to list.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been a fan for almost 10 years now. I was lucky to run into Brian and Laurel back in 1999 or so. They were playing in a Starbucks on Broadway and 50th. I bought their CD, Race You to the Sun (on that CD, the band was called Zelig), got on their mailing list, and hit every show I could since. I'm looking forward to the new album and seeing them in concert soon. Great idea about the fan site. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan, both literally and figuratively. Brian Wurschum and his music and band have helped me through some personally very difficult times and reminded me of my own talent, as yet to be unleashed upon the throngs of the listening public. Still, I love you so much, Brian and company! You rock my world on so many levels. I thank you for this interview, for all you do and just for basically being a part of my life here on Earth, though I suspect we've known each other forever and a day.

Erin
Amargosa Valley, Nevada

Anonymous said...

Erin, same here. Brian Wurschum is a musical genius and I cannot say enough about the impact his songs have had on my life. I only wish that The Voyces would play outside of their hometown more often.

Jen
Kalamazoo, Michigan